- May 14, 2021
- Posted by: Vikki Howells MS
- Category: Latest News
During this Senedd term, I will be posting a weekly round up of some of the highlights from the past seven days. If you ever have any questions or would like further information, please just get in touch.
- On Monday, I took the oath which meant I officially took office as MS for Cynon Valley for 2021-26 (pictured).
- Elin Jones MS was re-elected as Llywydd, with Labour MS David Rees as her deputy.
- Mark Drakeford MS was re-elected unopposed as First Minister. Congratulations to Mark, whose strong leadership has been a positive force, particularly during the pandemic.
- My constituency office reopened after the Senedd election.
- I worked with Zip World Tower and RCT Heart Heroes to arrange for a defibrillator to be put in place at the recently opened visitor attraction. It was great to return to the site, which will be such a draw for Cynon Valley, as the defibrillator was delivered.
- I continue to work to progress the extension of rail services to Hirwaun, which will be one of my key objectives during this Senedd term. With this in mind, it was good to note that RCT Council has acquired the former Mayhew Chicken Factory site to support the development of the South Wales Metro.
- I met with the Chief Constable of South Wales Police. I asked for an update on multi-agency working to tackle grassfires and the Chief Constable agreed to arrange this.
- The First Minister has appointed the members of the new Welsh Government. I look forward to working with them over this Senedd term.
- The Welsh Government has announced a series of test pilot mass events.
- The next package of support for businesses in Wales has been announced by the Welsh Government.
- Wales will be moving to Alert Level Two from Monday, thanks to the hard work and commitment of Welsh citizens to follow the rules and keep our communities safe during the pandemic. Find out what this means at Wales moves to alert level 2 | GOV.WALES.